Monday, April 18, 2011

Alcoholiday

Got on a bit of a Billy "(Smog)" Callabash kick this week. New album's good too. Tough week - birthday boy's birthday and continued sickness, basement flooding, winter weather, etc.

Time to catch up on open tabs, music reviews, and 2011 releases not found yet through the usual channels. Lots of new stuff to get excited about.

Forthcoming:

Fell, Mark - Manitutshu 2x12" (EMEGO 116EP)
Ohayo - The State We Are In CD (HAPNA 045CD)
Kreng - Grimoire CD (MIA 016CD)
VA - Enjoy The Silence Vol. 2 CD (MULE 020CD)
Fourcolor - As Pleat CD (12K 1065CD)
AGF - Gedichterbe CD (AGF 015CD)
Sanso-xtro - Fountain Fountain Joyous Mountain CD (DIGI 058CD)
Vladislav Delay Quartet - Vladislav Delay Quartet CD (HJR 056CD)
Flugel, Roman - Desperate Housemen 12" (PLAYRJC 012EP)
Jules, Marsen - Nostalgia CD (OKTAF 003CD)
O'Rourke, Jim - Old News #5 2LP (OLDNEWS 005LP)
Singing Skies, The - Routine And War CD (PRE 032CD)
Wooden Hand - Circle 7" (CRITTER 001EP)
People Like Us - Welcome Abroad CD (IA 124CD)

Grabbed:

Autechre – 6852 (warp/atp japan benefit) apr 2011
Colorist – the fastest way to become the ocean 10” (serein 11.1) apr 2011
Va - Kompakt benefit compilation for japan (kom jap 001) apr 2011
Va - Benefit for the recovery in japan (an 012) mar 2011
High llamas – talahomi way (drag city) apr 2011
Deerhunter – memory boy 7” (4ad) apr 2011
Alps, the – easy action (Mexican summer) apr 2011

Listened:

Smog
Panda Bear
12k
Sun Araw - Houston Abtros 7" w/ Teenage Fanclub "December" cover

3 comments:

red_lipstick said...

Hey b. neptune, how are U? Long time no talk. What do u think about the new Alps? Hope everyone's is feeling better and Happy Birthday to your son!! How old? I also have water in basement. Glad winter's gone. It was a tough one.
I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

RL,

Unfortunately winter's still here along the northern tier.

i'm hangin' in there tho, RL. Congrats on being a grandmother!

Just been super busy with the kids - swimming, soccer, etc. and just got a temporary job that lasts through June, so been pretty busy with that as well.

Been visiting the usual sites, just haven't had as much time to listen to new music. Also, haven't been as interested in the Akteon stuff lately. With all due respect, I mean, JFK's great, but I miss the more fresh, obscure stuff we used to find regularly on Akteon. I can usually find what I'm looking for somewhere else (12k, Type stuff, stuff The Radiant Now posts, etc), and the shout box has been slower. Bummer about Magiska. I wish Musica Coma would take the place. I suppose in a way it has, I think Flip's posts are in line with what I dig the most. I've seen you reply to the Fredy Brown twitter thingy I follow, and I think on Musical Coma as well. What's yr email address? We could keep up more.

I'm so happy for all these blogs / this music though. Ever since we closed our boutique metro detroit record store http://www.neptunerecords.com I've been a stay at home dad, with no real income, so it's been nice to be able to keep up.

best,

red_lipstick said...

b. neptune,
Thanks for the congrats. A grandmother. who woudda thought?? I still have two teenagers home with me...my 14 year old son who is autistic and unbelievably smart and my 12 year old daughter (who looks like she's 18 and thinks she is too) I forget do you have any girls (didn't you just have a baby girl recently?) They are the hardest. The northern tier...what state are you in? Michigan? I'm Connecticut and spring is just startin. This winter definitely kicked ass though. I visit Akteon daily but I agree 100% with you. While Jahmal's great it's Borxes' posts I look forward to. Jahmal is great for flac too. And also like you I'm able to track down the music I want somewhere else. I think you & I search the same places. I also feel the same about Flip @ Musical Coma. He usually does the posts I'm interested in. I just re read your reply and you're from Detroit. I hear Detroit winters are terror inducing. My email address is bcordone@comcast.net. I don't have my own computer anymore but I use the kids now. My motherboard went and I'm saving for a new one. It's times like these I wish I was rich or just better off. Gas is killer here. $4.39 a gallon and rising. It's gonna make this summer tough. But at least I won't be shoveling snow for awhile. Why did youy close your record store? It must have been great to go to work around something you love.